Templemere stands on land which formed part of Oatlands Chase surrounding the Royal palace at Oatlands in Tudor times.
In 1669, when Queen Henriette, widow of Charles II died, the ruined palace and its land reverted to the Crown. It passed through several royal hands including the 7th Earl of Lincoln who built Oatlands House on the site (now the Oatlands Park Hotel).
In 1730, following the death of his father and elder brother, Henry Pelham-Clinton became the 9th Earl of Lincoln and, in 1768, became the 2nd Duke of Newcastle under Lyme.
The grounds were altered for the new Duke by landscape architect William Kent to include a circular temple above the original Broadwater lake, loosely based on the Temple of Vesta at Tivoli.
The Oatlands Estate was subsequently bought by the Duke of York, son of George III, but following the death of the duchess in 1820, the duke decided to dispose of Oatlands and entered a contract with Edward Hughes Ball Hughes (The Golden Ball) in 1824, though it was not until 1827 that the sale was completed – by which time the duke had died. Ball Hughes subsequently sold the estate in four public auctions during 1846 when it was divided into 64 lots. Three large houses were built on the ridge overlooking the Broadwater (Beechcroft, Templemere and Oatlands Mere), each with extensive grounds. The 19th century Templemere house incorporated the Temple of Vesta.
The house was still intact in 1928, when, following the death of Sir Arthur Lyttleton-Annesley in 1925, it came up for auction by Hamptons and Sons. In the event, it was sold privately and the whole of the current Templemere estate came into the ownership of Donald Wilson and later Robert and Ruby Wilson. In March 1961 they sold it to SRL Investments Ltd, who through Span Developments created the present estate.